Its always great to get an invite to dinner but even better when its right next door! All I have to bring is a bottle of wine and a dessert. Its a cold winter Sunday and I really don’t feel like getting out of my pajamas to go to the store, so I will make something with whatever I have in the house. I know I have oatmeal, whole wheat flour, and some jam, so I start googling oatmeal bars. I don’t have any coconut oil, (except for the one I use for after my shower eww), which is what most healthy bars are using these days but I do have a stick of butter. Oh well they are both saturated fats so I will have to go for it. The jam has sugar in it, and states “no preservatives or additives”; and hey, its made from the Trappist Monks so who wouldn’t trust a monk?
First, combine the dry ingredients, cut in the butter and mix with a pastry blender until the butter becomes the size of peas (I can remember my mom showing me how to do this)…
Press almost half of the mixture into either a 9×9 or 9×12 pan (I used a 9×12). With the 9×9 you will have less squares but they will be thicker…
Spread the jam on top of the crust…
Place the remainder of the crumb mixture over the jam…
Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden…
YUMMMY… Gooey, crunchy, crumbly, and delicious!
Crunchy Oatmeal Blueberry Squares
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 12oz. jar blueberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients together. Cut in the butter in small pieces and use a pastry blender to mix until the butter is the size of peas. Press approximately half of the crust mixture into a 9x9 or 9x12 inch greased dish. Spread the jam over the crust. Top with the remainder crust. Cook for 40-50 minutes until golden. Cut into squares.